City Office
110 North Pine
PO Box 335
Howard, Kansas 67349
City Clerk: Joanna Hunter

Phone: 620-374-2202
Fax: 620-374-3060

Hours 8-12 and 1-5 weekdays, excluding Federal Holidays

Following is some general information about living in the City of Howard. This is not a complete list. If you have questions or need more detail, you should ask the responsible person/department for clarification.


City of Howard provides water, sewer and gas service, and billing only for trash service.

To set up and turn on utilities, we will need a copy of your driver’s license and social security number; as well as the hook-up fee of $100. An adult must be present at the house when any utilities are turned on. The City will not light your pilot lights for you.

For bill payment or key return after hours, there is a mail slot on the City Office front door.


The City accepts cash, checks or credit cards. There is a 2.5% convenience fee on cards added to your total. You can pay in the office, by mail, use the drop-box on the door, or pay online by going to the city webpage at and there is a link that is the word “Howard” in blue near the top. Or type this direct link in your web browser: If you chose to make payment online with a checking or savings account, the flat fee is $1.50, so if you are paying over $60 the fee will be less than using a credit card; but either way is more economical than a late fee. You can also use your own bill-pay system to send a check to the office~ be sure it arrives before the 10th to avoid late fees.


Monthly fees for residential utilities: GAS $40.17 includes first 1000 cu ft (MMBtu), $8.17 each unit after. Additionally, each unit of gas has a rider, which is calculated each month using the current gas price. WATER: $51.02 includes first 1000 gallon of water $5.68 per 1000 gallon after. SEWER $25.00 flat fee. TRASH $23.50. Other rates for commercial and rural customers can be provided. Sewer and Trash are always applied if you have Water service.


Countywide Refuse provides trash service for Howard. Phone 620-647-6030. Trash is billed through the city for residences and billed directly for business/commercial. All Howard residences are picked up on Thursday. Trash needs to be at the curb early in the morning. All trash needs to be in bags, and only household trash can be picked up (no animal carcasses, leaves/grass clippings, tires, toxic chemicals, etc.) You may have up to 3 trash cans and all must have lids and bottoms and not be too heavy for the workers to pick up; or you may purchase a dumpster from Countywide by contacting them. You may set out trash bags without the can/dumpster, however if the bags are torn open or trash is scattered, you are responsible for cleanup. Resident trash is billed to every residence that uses city water.


Recycling is provided by Elk County, Office of Public Works. Phone 620-374-2580

You may drop your recyclables in the bins on the west side of the courthouse on the 2nd and 4th weekend each month. The city has no connection to the recycling program, but we do appreciate them! Elk County's website has more information:


Internet and Wireless services:

SKT provides cable internet in Howard. Web site  Phone 888-758-8976, 112 S Lee, POB 800, Clearwater, KS  67026

AT&T fixed wireless 877-322-5843
kwikom will be putting an antenna on our water tower to offer wireless high-speed internet in the near future

Other carriers have wireless internet available in the area. Some cell phone services work well while some specific locations or specific carriers do not work as well. You are advised to test for signal to be assured of reception before signing up with any providers.


Evergy provides electric service in Howard. Web site To report an outage 800-544-4857. Phone 800-383-1183 residential customers. For business customers call 800-401-5666


Animal Regulations April 01 each year all dogs over 6 months of age need to have a yearly tag which you purchase at the city office. You will need current rabies vaccination records from a licensed veterinarian. Altered or unaltered status (spayed/neutered) must show on your vaccination papers. $5 altered dogs, $10 unaltered. $10 late fee after April 30.

If you have more than 3 dogs, you must purchase a tag for each PLUS a kennel license ($100). Howard does have a leash law. Howard’s dog pound is a 3-business day-hold pound. While efforts are made to find owners quickly, impounded animals must be picked up in 3 business days or they will be euthanized.

Cats are not regulated by the City; however, you are required to be a responsible animal owner/harborer and follow all city and state regulations for the health and safety of any-and-all animals on your property that you own, or that you feed; and to avoid nuisance or danger to people or property.

No barb wire fencing is allowed in the city limits (with exception of grandfathered locations.) For detailed animal regulations, see the City Ordinances available for view online  or on the web page or in the city office.


Benson Museums Phone 620-330-7721

With 8 buildings of history, memories and nostalgia, all within a couple blocks in downtown Howard, this is a treasure. Call for their hours or to make an appointment for a tour. See their web page at or their Howard Benson Museums Facebook page.


Burn Permit You may burn brush, leaves and grass clippings on your property with a burn permit and proper safety precautions. You may not burn lumber, furniture, other household items or trash. You must get the burn permit from the city office during regular business hours. Permits are good for one month and there is no charge. You must notify the Elk County Sheriff’s office by calling 620-374-2108 before you burn AND after your burn is completed. Burn permits are not valid when there is a state-wide burn ban, nor in the entire month of April. If you are using an enclosed burn pit, you do not need a burn permit, however you may not burn trash and are responsible for following safety precautions.


Brush Dump City residents may use the Howard brush dump free of charge. You may only dump brush and limbs. No grass clippings, raked leaves, plastic bags or trash of any kind can be included. To use the dump, you will need to sign for a key at the city office during business hours and return the key when you are done.


C&D Landfill Howard operates a Construction and Demolition dump regulated by the State. Rates are available at the city office. City employees cannot help you offload and there is no equipment available at the dump to help, nor to pull you out if you get stuck in mud or snow. You must drive your secured load to the city office during regular office hours so we can see the load and size. You pay the fee, then a city employee will lead you to, or meet you at, the dump and direct you where to back-in for unloading. This landfill is available only during business hours and your load must be off well-before business hours end. This is NOT a regular trash landfill. It is strictly construction and demolition debris. Your load will be inspected. No caulking tubes, plastic buckets or bags, packaging, furniture or household trash can be in your load, or the entire load will be rejected and you may be banned from further use.


City Lake Polk Daniels There are shelter houses, a boat ramp and porta-pot facilities (seasonal) available. You may fish from the bank or on your fishing boat with no fee, but MUST have State required fishing licenses. There are very affordable daily use family permits for swimming and camping, an annual permit for swimming is available. Each permit includes permission for one vehicle. Vehicle permits are required for extra vehicles for $1 each, and you can have a maximum of 3 vehicle permits per camping/day use permit. Permits are available at the city office during business hours only.


City Wide Yard Sales followed by City Wide Cleanup City-wide yard sales are generally on Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the first full week in June, and again the last full week in September to coincide with Fabulous Finds on Highway 99. The dates are subject to change. The city-wide cleanup follows one or two weeks after each event. You should see advertisements for them in local businesses and on business social media. For the Yard Sales, there is a small fee to be advertised on the city map.

For the Cleanup there is no charge. You will be directed to take large items to dumpsters near the intersection of Jefferson & Cherry Streets. No construction and demolition debris. No tires and no hazardous wastes. There will usually be someone picking up metal items. Occasionally, a couple of volunteers will pick up items at the curb from residents who cannot transport, but that must be arranged before the cleanup dates by calling the city office to see if any volunteers are available.


Cox Building

The Cox Building is our local community building and is available for rent by the day. There is an east and a west room which share the kitchen and restrooms. It is handicap accessible. The schedule is in the city office and that is where you reserve the space and pay your fee. No alcohol beverages are allowed. Cleanup requirements and other information is available at the city office and posted in the Cox building.


Elk County Council on Aging  Senior services for Elk County residents (620) 647-6334. ECCA works in conjunction with General Public Transportation  Phone 620-647-6335. The vans have a set schedule with no age requirements. They will also work with you to accommodate appointment times and other trips.


Elk County Courthouse hours are Monday to Thursday 7:00 to 5:30 except Treasurer & District Court  several of the departments have Facebook pages and other social media accounts

Ambulance Barn 620-374-3505   ALL EMERGENCIES: dial 911

Appraiser 620-374-2832

Clerk 620-374-2490 #1

County Attorney 620-374-3507

District Court 620-374-2370 office hours are Mon-Fri 8:00am to 4:30pm

Emergency Management 620-374-3597   ALL EMERGENCIES: dial 911

Public Health Department & EMS Billing 620-374-2277

Register of Deeds 620-374-2472

Road/Weed & Public Works (recycling) 620-374-2580

Sheriff’s Department non-emergency number 620-374-2108   ALL EMERGENCIES: dial 911

Treasurer 620-374-2256 office hours are Mon-Thurs 7:00am to 5:00pm

Driver’s License Renewals done at the Treasurer’s Office Mon-Thurs 7am to 5pm. There you can renew current Kansas license (not CDL's.) They can issue driver's license or instructional permits for those completing driver’s education. CDL or Out-of-state must go to a full-service exam station


Howard Chamber of Commerce Email (preferred contact method)

This is a volunteer organization.

They have a Facebook page where they post current information and where you can find local businesses and events as needed. They meet the 4th Wednesday of each month at noon for lunch, except June is an evening meeting. City residents as well as business owners are welcome.


Howard Housing Authority is a Public Housing Agency (closed Fridays)

Phone 620-374-2386, 134 E Washington St #A, Howard, KS


Howard Senior Center and Friendship Meals 620-374-2200 148 N Wabash

The Senior Center is an active part of our community – and they provide weekday lunch meals where you can eat in the dining room with many new friends, or home-bound people can have meals delivered. You do not have to be a certain age to participate. They request a $3 donation per meal for people over 60 and $5 for younger ages. Call them for details.


Library 126 E Wabash, 620-374-2890

Howard Public Library is an active and important part of our community. Hours are Mon 1-6pm, Tues 4-7pm, Wed, Thurs & Fri 2-5pm, Sat 9am to noon. Contact: website and the Howard City Library Facebook page or email


Parks and Shelters

Howard has 3 city parks. Jackson Park is on the 800 block of East Randolph and has a walking path, playground equipment, Veteran’s Memorial and public restrooms. West Park is in the 400 block of West Randolph. It has playground equipment, shelter houses, restrooms (seasonal) as well as a large open space to play. South Park is located in the 500 block of South Wabash and of South Pennsylvania. It has the City Swimming Pool, basketball goals, tennis court, large shelter house and a baseball field.

No horses or motorized vehicles are allowed in any of the parks; with exceptions for electric wheelchairs for disabled persons. If you walk your dog there, you must pick up after them.


Swimming Pool at 541 S Pennsylvania is open to the public at regularly set hours in the summer. They conduct swimming lessons and some aqua-exercise classes on occasion as well. Please contact the pool during summer hours for further information. Phone 620-374-2827, or the City office in off-season.


City of Howard Phone Numbers

Dial 911 for all emergencies!

After Hours messages will be answered the next business day, so if it is an emergency, contact the Sheriff’s Department and they will reach the City employee needed for your situation.

620-374-2108           Elk County Sheriff Dispatch law enforcement non-emergency number


620-374-2202           City Clerk office

620-374-2890           City Library

620-330-7740           Howard Gas Department office

620-374-2827           Howard Swimming Pool (seasonal)

620-374-2501           Howard Water Department office


Download the Utility Application.